Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Apple everywhere!

That's a title the people at Apple would really like to see some day in the news! Unfortunately, I will not talk about those wonderful products. My post is actually on the real apple fruit. For those who wonder, no I haven't got an orchard nor completely mad!
Uta and myself enjoyed a very nice meal last friday at a restaurant called Pomze. A bit of a dumb name, but an excellent little Parisian spot for those who love apples. The owner of the place transformed a former private appartment on Boulevard Haussmann into a cosy restaurant. They kept the walls inside the place so the restaurant is divided into small rooms. On the ground level, they made a shop that sells apple, of course, and also about 30 different kind of Ciders. The restaurant is on the first floor. They transformed the basement into a cool lounge where you can enjoy an after-dinner cigar whilst drinking aged calvados.
The concept is simple, make the people discover what we can do with all sort of apples. And it works!
Uta had the Artichoke and apple bavarois with crayfish and I had the Home-made foie gras with calvados, French toast and apple chutney. The French toast added a nice sweet touch to the dish. I didn't try Uta's starter but according to her it was delicious!

Then we ordered Three home-made foie gras cooked in "papillotes" with three kind of apple and an Apple and coco milk chicken fircassee with sweet potato flan. I tasted a bit of the foie gras and it was interesting to feel the difference the apple you use in the dish makes. The foie gras was the same all the way but the taste came from the apple used; sweet sour or even bitter. My chicken was also very tasty. The coco milk was mixed with some spices that made the dish a bit like like a thai one.

For dessert, I had an Aranguani chocolate mousse with thyme-flavoured apples. That was nice but a bit heavy!
We paid around 70€ per person with three glasses of cider each and a calvados as a "digestif". I must say that the guy who served us the cider was very professional and talk with passion about the caracteristics of the ciders we had. A true cider sommelier!
It's not going to be easy to stay healthy if I'm going to eat in restaurant every week. The fact that I had raclette twice this week doesn't help either. And, oh!, I almost forgot, we went to Pied de Cochon in les Halles where I had my favourite : Andouillette AAAAA! Today, I'm off to my mum's where I'm sure we won't be fed on carrots and vegetables! Well then I guess I gonna renew my application at the gym.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home