Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Amerifood

My little trip to the States showed me quite a few sides of the food scene. It ranges from Yumi! to No thanks! Ever wonder why there is so many overweight people in the States? The answer is so simple : there is a restaurant everywhere you look. Walking just 100 meters in the street, you come across Taco bell, Jack in the Box, Subways, Burger King, etc, etc. Decent restaurants were hard to find if you're not familiar with the city. I must say the best meal we had was at the Craftsteak at Las Vegas MGM Grand. Uta had a friend there who used to work with her in Paris. He actually happens to be the director of the restaurant, and so he invited us to try their steaks. What a treat we had! We just wanted to go for a main course, or entrée as they say (I will never understand why they using a word that means "starter" in French to name a main course). Rachel, our waitress, cute and very nice, talked us into getting a starter otherwise Alex, Uta's friend, is gonna kill her if we did order only a main course. So we went for something light, Tomatoes salad and salad. Obviously, it wasn't enough for them so they threw up a couples of grilled quail legs!

That was excellent and already we were feeling full! Then, Uta had her 10 oz Chateabriand filet and I had the 16 oz rib-eye. The meat was so tender you could almost cut it with your fork!


It came with onion rings and mash potato but again we had a few extras like sweet corn and pan fried peppers.

To digest I had a shot of Ciroc, which is actually a French Vodka made out of grapes. I had never heard of that brand before and I must admit that the fact it is made with grapes gives a sweet taste to it.
The other decent meal we had was still in Vegas at the Red Square at the Mandalay Bay hotel. The decor is obviously Communism orientated with a big decapitated statue of Lenin at the entrance complete with a nice bird poo finish to it as if it came right from the Red Square!

The thing that interested me most in that restaurant was their Vodka list, over 100 vodkas! I had a Stolichnaya Vanilla, Kettel One Citroen and Stolichnaya 100's proof. To absorb all that Uta had angel pasta with chicken and basil in a tomato sauce and I had the tagliatelle with Maine lobster and black truffle.


It was just the doctor ordered! Big chunks of lobster and I couldn't resist the black truffle! Then I had a chocolate "moelleux" with vanilla ice-cream and fresh strawberries.

Being in the States for the first time, we had to have junk food. I think that if they took the bread of everytime, they will actually be able to do eadible food not too heavy. Of all the breads we tried, I found that they are all baked with too much sugar. It's almost like if you're eating a brioche without the buttery taste. Again no wonder American are fat. Imagine eating that almost every day lunch and dinner. And I'm not talking about the breakfast. I will come back to that later.
First encounter was in the plane. Ham and cheese sandwich in a brioche and Pretzel and a little Mars for our afternoon break before arriving at Philadelphia. (What the F**k is that!)

In Los Angeles at a shopping centre, I had a chicken teriyaki burger from "Great Steak" with all the options : cheese and onions! No taste just stuffy food. The fries were soft and not crispy at all!

In San Francisco we went to "Bistro Burger" (what a name!), and Uta went for the California Burger, avocado and salad

, and I for the bacon and cheese burger.

The good thing was that they actually asked me how I wanted my meat and they quite got it right, as I like it rare. The burger was excellent very tastefull and the meat, as it was rare, was tender and juicy (please Adrian or Austen no sexual comments on that part, I'm talking about food!). I ordered a large portion of curly spicy fries, which were not spicy at all!

Uta had a banana and strawberry milk shake and it was very good!
Well that's all I have to say for today. I'll probably do a post on breakfast later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog was great. I really liked it. I liked it much more than the other blogs. It was cuddly.

Find out how you can get a free Lamborghini Murcielago in two days!

8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home